Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Peer Pressure


When we were at Teen Court, my sister and her friend were prosecution  attorneys representing the state of Texas in that case. The case was of a person who stole alcohol, drove and wrecked a golf cart that wasn't his and went on the school grounds at midnight with a bunch of "friends". By the way the person was only fourteen. The deliberation took a long time and was one of the longest in Teen Court. It took so long because most of the members of the jury felt that there was peer pressure involved. Finally, the other two jury members reached an agreement with the other members of the jury and the defendant got away with around 42 community service hours. My point in sharing this is that no-one should do something wrong just because that they're afraid of what someone else thinks. The Bible states that "For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ." Galatians 1:10 If you are afraid to stand up and share that you won't do wrong; consider this verse, Acts 5:29 which states "But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than men."  I was one of the jury members that waited so long because I felt that the boy should have said "No" to peer pressure. If this situation happens again I will not hesitate and will share these Bible verses for Psalm 56:11 says "In God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can man do to me?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment